Greek mountain tea, otherwise known as shepherd’s tea or ironwort tea, is a kind of tea concocted from the Sideritis plant. The stems, flowers, and leaves of Sideritis are dried and then boiled to produce the actual beverage.
Greek mountain tea is well-known for its medicinal properties and unique flavor that is common in many Greek and Cretan dishes. The tea is actually a usual complement to most of the country’s traditional meals.
Some of the life-giving benefits of Greek mountain tea are:
- Boosts the immune system
- Inhibits chronic inflammation
- Protects the gastrointestinal tract from infection and irritation
- Lowers blood pressure
- Relaxes the heart muscles
- Relieves anxiety and depression
- Prevents some forms of cancer
- Alleviates fever
- Fights allergies
- Fights bacterial infections
With an abundance of antioxidants and flavonoids, the Greek mountain tea is indeed an invigorating drink that can help improve your wellbeing.
When you get your hands Greek mountain tea, here are the steps on how to prepare a nice hot brew:
1. You will need:
- Green mountain tea (stalks, leaves, and flowers)
- Water (obviously!)
- Sweetening agent (e.g. sugar, honey, or artificial sweetener – optional)
- Lemon (optional)
2. Fill a pot with clean water. You can just estimate how much you want to boil depending on the tea stalks that are available. For a stronger flavoured brew, add more tea stalks or reduce the water.
3. Place the pot on a stove and turn it on to medium-high. Put in your Green mountain tea mix and wait until it boils.
4. After boiling, remove the pot from the stove and let the tea simmer and soak for about 7 to 10 minutes.
5. When ready, prepare a few cups depending on the number of drinkers. You can use a strainer while dispensing the tea if you don’t want to include the stalks. Some tea lovers actually keep the stalks for added flavor.
6. You can add some form of sweetening agent such as honey or sugar, and also put in a slice of lemon if you wish.
Well, there you have it! Enjoy and let us know your own recipes!