Types of Greek Olives

Did you know that olives are fruits? Mostly found in the Mediterranean and Africa, and the 90% of those harvested is made into olive oil, while the remaining 10% is then processed and turned into table olives which we add into some of the food dishes that we eat.

Greek olives are the kind of table olives that are easily available at a supermarket. Olives straight from the tree is extremely bitter, which is why they need to undergo a curing process to make them more palatable.

There are many types of Greek olives, and each type has its own characteristic For the sake of not having a huge post here, we will only be referring to the most widely spread ones:

  • Green Olives – these are picked once the olive fruit has reached its full size and right before it starts to ripen. These are usually green or yellow in colour.
  • Turning Colour Olives – these are picked at the very beginning of the olive’s ripening stage. These olives have multiple shades of red or brown in colour.
  • Black Olives – these are picked once the olive fruits are properly ripe. Although they are called black olives, they are actually a dark shade of purple.

Greek olives themselves are also classified into different kinds according to how they were prepared:

  • Kalamatas – this is the most popular among the Greek olives. These olives are almond-shaped and are dark purple to black in colour. They are usually preserved in vinegar or olive oil.
  • Conservolia – these olives can either be green or black and are the most versatile cooking ingredient among all the types of olives.
  • Tsakistes – this one is cured and sold as green olives and are usually (and best) prepared with garlic or with lemon wedges.
  • Wrinkled Black Olives – these are the meaty types and are usually left to ripen on the branch. Once harvested, they are salt-cured to remove the bitter flavour and then soaked in brine

Which olives do you like better?

Stay tuned as tomorrow we will publish an never-before-produced an infographic  with the most exciting varieties!

Like What You Read?
Join Grains, our urban newsletter and get news and hacks about health, kitchen tips and tricks and more info about the Mediterranean liifestyle.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

You may also like

No Comment

You can post first response comment.

Leave A Comment

Please enter your name. Please enter an valid email address. Please enter a message.